Monday, March 5, 2018

Spanish?


"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you don't stop." -Confucius  

     Yeah, I'm really trying to tell myself that right now. While I haven't made any real progress, I've been thinking a lot. I'm really hoping I can start coming up with a rough draft my story soon, and hopefully start on my story board by the end of this week.
     And I also have good news! I found someone who has agreed to take part in my film as the main (and probably only) character. Meet Kailynn Santos, the lead for my film-to-be's opening scene!


     Kailynn has been involved in drama and musical theatre for years, so I know for sure she will play whatever specific role I decide to give her very well. She's extremely talented. On top of that though, she has a few other qualities that makes me thankful she's agreed to this. One of them being her age, 17. Since drama films are, well, dramatic, what better age than teenage years? I feel like that gives me a lot of room to work with.
     Then there's her ethnicity, she is Puerto Rican. While I wasn't looking for anyone of any particular race or ethnicity, I'm really glad she is Hispanic. The reason being is that I can incorporate culture and the Spanish language into my film opening. Latinos are greatly underrepresented in Hollywood, in the top 100 movies of 2016, only 13% of the speaking roles were Latinos. Following the 2018 Oscars, the hashtag #LatinosLeftOut emerged on social media, mainly on Twitter as a protest to the very few Latino roles Hollywood creates.
     Even though this is only a film opening that will never hit the box office, I do want to be able to incorporate her heritage into it as my very small and personal way to protest. Kailynn and I may be from different countries (I am Mexican), but we are both Latinas and I'm confident that we'll be able to slip in some culture and the Spanish language even if only briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment